Saturday, September 13, 2008

Baby Crack

Typically Baby Einstein really freaks me out. I have a lot of friends who's babies watch these videos religiously throughout the day. I typically think it can be parenting by television... but that is neither here nor there.

Taylor and I are starting to learn and use sign language and after quite a bit of research I found that most programs recommended watching the baby Einsteins signing video to begin. The first time we watched the video I was amazed. It is like baby crack she completely zoned out and all of that baby energy went god knows where. I sit with her on Friday afternoons so we can watch and practice the signs.

A half hour of TV a week can't do too much damage right???? I know that if a child watches TV before the age of two there is about a 1 million times greater chance that they will get A.D.D. but please a 1/2 hour together can't be that bad... or can it? Just watch how zoned she is!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iam sure 1/2 hour TV could not hurt. The problem is 1/2 hour turns into 1 hour then 2 hours. I think it would be better to read and do puzzles together. I think it is really fun that you are learning sign language and going to the library every week. Walking on the beach and finding shells and counting seagulls would be fun too! I am impressed how much research you do before you buy anything for Taylor. So whatever you decide to do I am sure will be fine and be in the very best interest of Taylor. You are great parents and Taylor is lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

ashley, Don't do the sign language. The few friends of mine who did this ended up having to send their children to speech therapy because instead of talking they would only sign. Also both of my kids have watched as much tv as they have ever wanted and Cassidy is in the gifted program and carries a 4.3 gpa, and Eric gets all A's and B's and can tell you about any bug or animal you would ever care to know about from watching endless hours of animal planet and discovery channel. It is not the tv that causes problems with kids, it is all in the parents hands in all that you do. just be involved in their lives and they will be productive children that can thrive in the outside world. loveya Tina

Caitlin said...

Look at Sam and annie both are brilliant and both learned sign language.
Caitlin