Saturday, December 20, 2008

Holiday Movie Review - AUSTRALIA


Allie:
I loved this movie. If you aren't familiar with Baz Luhrnann he is the master mind behind movies like Moulon Rouge, Romeo & Juliet and Strictly Ballroom. While this movie is not nearly as visually spectacular as Moulon Rouge it was every bit as emotional & romantic. {I actually cried} The casting was perfect - I love Nicole Kidman in this kind of role, and Hugh Jackman...what more can I say? Loved, Loved, Loved this movie - I would totally recommend it!

Bradley:
This movie had potential, but didn't come together for me. If you're hoping for something innovative, fantastical and seamless, like past Baz projects, you'll find this one still leaves you wanting. Good performances from Kidman and Jackman, and their adopted aboriginal kid is a treat to watch, but the story felt inconsistent which left me disconnected; a whimsical fairytale at times, sappy and cliche at others, speckled with moments that were realistic and captivating. The flip-flopping didn't allow me to really sink my teeth into it and forget I was watching a film. With that said, its not bad and if you need to satisfy a 'feel good' movie fix, this one will do.

No comments: